Monday, March 12, 2007

Personal Training


This morning I met with my personal trainer for an hour. I've been doing this for a few months now, and I have to say, I really love it. My trainer is a woman in her 50s, and started the training thing a few years ago after a teaching career. I find this inspiring - she is way more fit than me, and I like the idea of doing something completely different.

One of the things that has really struck me about this process is her observations about me. Not many people really see me work out. And since she trains people every day, I feel like her opinions are more informed than most. So here are some of the things she has said which have made me think:



1. "An athlete like you ..." Um, what? She says I'm an athlete? I just really don't think of myself this way. Yeah, I've done some races, I try to stay fit, but ... athlete? I like it!

2. "You don't have to worry. You aren't obese at all." What!?! Hey now, wait a minute ... saying that I'm not obese is like saying that I actually am kind of fat. Ouch. But hey, maybe a little touch love isn't so bad. After all, Mom, friends and even Husband aren't going to say it. And I don't really think they see it. I basically put on 2-3 pounds a year for the last 10 years. She doesn't know that. She only sees someone with some extra pounds around the middle. Ouch again. The truth hurts.

3. "Your balance is amazing. My other clients never get it the first time." I never knew I had great balance! She likes to say that we are "multi-tasking" - many, if not most of the exercises we do, involve dumbbells PLUS the balance ball, or the bosu thingy, or standing on one leg. Who knew?

4. "Have you lost weight? You are looking a lot more toned. I can really see a difference." Thanks! Although I haven't actually lost any weight, I have lost inches and can see the difference. Husband has said so too. It's nice when someone else notices.

I doubt that she has any idea of the effect that these offhand comments have. It's interesting to me. And it does motivate me. So it's all good.

No comments: