Monday, June 20, 2005

Weekend and this week's plan

Had a pretty good weekend. Saturday morning I did a nice little run. There is a lovely lake less than a mile from my parent’s house. It’s really one of my favorite places to run – no cars to contend with, not too crowded, and mostly shaded so I don’t get too hot. Not very long, though; it is definitely less than 2 miles, but maybe it is pretty close to that. I convinced Mom to come with me, and bring their dog, Hannah. She didn’t need much convincing. Hannah is a greyhound and should love running, right?

That dog was dragging ass by the end of the loop. Hannah is friendly and gets really excited about the other dogs. This old retriever wanted to run with us . . . the owner was trying to call him back, I tried to speed up, but Hannah just wasn’t having it. I wanted to go a second time around the lake, but had to rest the dog. Sorry Parents, but your greyhound is slow.

Time to get a little more serious about training. I have my first triathlon coming up in, gulp, 20 days. Although I am feeling a little more confident in the water as a result of my swim classes, I have done NO open water swimming at all, and won’t have a chance this weekend either. I’ll have to wait until NEXT weekend which is 4th of July.

Also time to start the marathon training. According to my proposed schedule, I should be doing a base of 20 miles per week, with 5 runs of 3, 4,4,3 and 6 miles each. I’m not doing that. I read somewhere that I can substitute up to 25% of my miles with the equivalent effort of cross-training, as long. Although I have been working out more than at any other time in my life, I’m not doing that, either. So here is my planned vs. actual for last week:

Planned
Monday: Bike 25 min
Tuesday: Swim class 60 minutes
Wednesday: Run 4 Miles
Thursday: Swim class 60 minutes
Friday: Run 4 miles
Saturday: Bike/run brick
Sunday: Bike or run

Actual
Monday: Bike 25 min
Tuesday: Swim class 60 minutes
Wednesday: Ran 2 miles + extra stretching
Thursday: Nada
Friday: Some dumbbells
Saturday: Ran 2 miles
Sunday: Walked 2 miles

Need to do better! Here is the plan for this week:

Monday: Run 3 miles
Tuesday: Swim class 60 minutes (last one)
Wednesday: Run 4 Miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Run 4 miles or bike 1 hour
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Run 6-8 miles

I’m traveling Thursday/Friday/Saturday, so I’ll be lucky to squeeze in a run on one of those days. Plus I'm going whitewater rafting on Saturday, so at least I'm doing something active. Swim class on Tuesdays & Thursdays starts up again on June 30th. What I really need to do is start getting up earlier, but I’ve tried it before and it just doesn’t work for me. Lunch or after work seems more doable.

No comments: