Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Crystal meth is not the answer!

Sheesh, what was the question? Certainly not one posed by me. This was another observed statement from my morning urban run. I went out this morning around 9, later than I would have liked, but whatever. It felt like it was about to pour, so I stayed close to home and ran circles around the park nearby. I did less than 2 miles and came home. Pretty weak, but feel better for having gone out.

Did I mention it was hot? The humidity and I just don't get along. It's actually not that hot yet today, only in the high 70s + 80% humidity when I went out. I get really nauseated and even have a little chest pain on the humid days. I guess I need to get used to it - slowly. After all, the marathon will not be on a treadmill in the air-conditioned gym. Thankfully it is in November, but I have a lot of training to do this summer.

Last night Husband and I did some dancing. It was outside at Lincoln Center, with a live band and lots of eager dancers. We were a little out of practice compared to our peak when we were taking dance classes, but it was a fun refresher. The Charleston, Shag, and Lindy are definitely aerobic!

I am very pleased with my recent fitness-related purchases. I got a new pair of running shoes, to rotate with my existing pair for longer life. These may be THE marathon shoes. I love the Asics GT-200 in size 9A. Having the right shoes makes such a difference. Also got special bike shoes, which will go with new clipless pedals for my mountain bike. They are shiny and a little funny-looking, and make a satisfying clicking sound when I walk. I feel like a very sporty elf. Oh, and last but not least, a belt which has attachable water bottles and a compartment for keys, gels, $, whatever. I observed several of these on runners in my last 10K race and had to have one.

Can't wait to try out my new gear this weekend!

No comments: