Friday, October 21, 2005

Excuses


I'm supposed to be tapering, as opposed to just quitting completely. I haven't been doing anything! And the NYC marathon is in, gulp, 15 days. My main excuse has been work. Actually work-related travel. Makes it really hard to get in the workouts.

This week was a travel nightmare. I have to share because it really reached the point of ridiculousness. Tuesday morning I had a 6:00 am flight to Austin. I get up at 4:15 and tear off to the airport. Just in time. Trying to check in at one of the kiosks, which won't process my boarding pass. Talk to the agent and realize . . . I am at the WRONG AIRPORT. Flight was out of LaGuardia, and here I am in Newark. The car just wanted to go there. Maybe so I could fill up cheap in New Jersey. No, I have never done this before.

So, they put me on a later flight leaving from Newark. I should still get there in time for lunch and my 1:30 meeting. I immediately fall asleep when I board the plane. Wake up 1.5 hours later feeling refreshed and . . . still on the runway in Newark. Ugh. But I got there. No time for lunch (I scarfed down a granola bar), but just made my meeting. The conference would last until Wednesday afternoon.

I was originally planning to leave Thursday morning, but realized I should be able to just make a flight out Wednesday afternoon and spend the night at home with Husband. Plus, my Thursday am ticket has me going in to LaGuardia, while my car is in Newark; so I had to make changes anyway. I won't even get into all the machinations required and hold music endured to get that ticket.

I make my Wednesday afternoon flight with time to spare. But it isn't direct; I have a connection at Chicago O'Hare. My fellow travelers know that this spells trouble. Anyway, we land with plenty of time to spare, but SIT ON THE RUNWAY with no gate for nearly an HOUR. Long story short, I miss my connection. United gives me a voucher for something resembling the Bates Motel. To add insult to injury, it was a smoking room.

Up again a 4:15 to make a 6:00 am flight. Glad to be home.

2 comments:

Born To Endure said...

wow, sounds like a crazy hectic week you had!! Rest well, you have a big race coming up..how exciting too!!

Cliff said...

Glad u are going home. 14 days to go. You must be excited :)