Wednesday, October 26, 2005

marathon obsessing


I've been resisting it, but I think it is time. 11 days! Omigod it's almost here. I saw a commercial last night for the TV coverage and got goosebumps.

My training lately has been limited, to say the least. I sort of get and run around the neighborhood once in a while and that's it. I like to tell myself I'm tapering, but it's more like sloth. But, I still think that I'll be fine. This is my first marathon, and I just want to finish. And I don't have the same kind of anxiety about running that I do about swimming and biking. So if I take some walk breaks, I'm okay with that.

I'm going to have a few fans out there! Definitely Husband and Mother. I think a friend from work and another friend and her kids are also going to show up as well. So I'm trying to figure out the best places to send them so I can see them during the race. I got some info from the marathon website, and I kow I'll be running somewhere between 10:00 and 12:00 minute miles.

1. Mile 8 in Brooklyn , where the three starts converge, is suggested as a great place to catch runners looking fresh for photographs.

** I should be at Mile 8 between 11:30 and 11:46.**

2. Mile 16 is also supposed to be an exciting spot, because this is where the mmarathoners descend the Queensboro Bridge into Manahttan. But, the street will be packed here, and I probably won't be able to spot anyone in the crowd.

3. Mile 18 is probably a better bet. "For less-obstructed viewing, head north to mile 18, on First Avenue at East 92nd Street , by taking uptown 4/5/6 subway to 86th Street and walking north and east. Your runner may be looking decidedly less fresh here than back in Brooklyn; the dreaded marathon “wall” typically occurs as marathoners run out of fuel between miles 18 and 22." Mom, I may look terrible, but it's almost over!

**I should be at mile 18 between 1:10 and 1:46. Calculate my pace when you see me at mile 8 to try and narrow down the time a bit.**

4. Mile 24. "After yelling encouragement and snapping pictures, walk west to catch your marathoner yet again, this time on Fifth Avenue in the 24th mile, just north of where runners enter Central Park."

**I should be at Mile 24 between 2:10 and 2:58. Basically an hour and change after you see me at mile 18.**

Mother, here's a list of what to bring:

  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Bright, layered clothing
  • Lightweight, water-resistant jacket or poncho
  • Snacks/drinks
  • Camera with high-speed film
  • Reliable wristwatch
  • All-day, unlimited ride MetroCard
  • ING pace band (I'll get this at the Expo)

What if it rains? Or snows? What should I wear? (Always an important question.)

It's almost here!

3 comments:

Cliff said...

I did my marathon two weeks ago and the weather was changing as well. I was use to running in the sun and heat and not in the cold. During my tapering, I test my fall gears. I am glad I have done that. I know what to expect and how to deal with it.

Good luck..u must be excited :)

Nancy Toby said...

Woo hoo! I'll be there, way behind you, but I'll be there!

Ten days? CRAP! Guess I can't start training now, can I?

Nancy Toby said...

Ooh, that would be fun if you did Ocean Drive too! We love Cape May, used to go there often before the babies were born... might be a little tougher this time around with them in tow.