Monday, October 24, 2005

the pounds

It seems like the off season might be a good time to focus on losing a few. It's definitely on the minds of my fellow bloggers, anway, and never far from mine.

So, even though I am pretty undisciplined about my training, I have to admit that I have seen some results. I did a little shopping the other day. I went down a size! :) Yes, the salesgirl informed me that the suit I was trying on was just much too big. They probably changed the sizing scale, but I have to admit, I was pretty pleased with myself.

I still haven't lost any weight, but I've lost inches from my waist and thighs. I have the body fat scale, and that's down too. But, still nowhere near my "fighting weight." I'd like to lose 20 pounds to get there. Actually, 10 might do it if I get more muscular.

Everyone knows that there is a huge (no pun intended) obesity epidemic in this country. Most of us just eat way too much junk food, and too much of it. I actually eat very little junk food. Really! I like sweets, but try to cut processed junk and high fructose corn syrup out completely. It's amazing, how HFCS is in everything, once you start looking at labels. The food I eat is much healthier than it was a year ago. But no one's perfect.

Here are the things I need to work on:
  • Portion control. I tend to just eat whatever Husband is eating, and pretty much the same amount. He's six inches taller than I am and all muscle. I don't need the same number of calories. I actually think this is the downfall of most married women - I definitely ate less before we moved in together.
  • Frequent small meals. I am much happier when I eat frequently. I definitely notice blood sugar highs and lows. But I can't have the normal size breakfast, lunch and dinner; then add healthy snacks on top of that. I guess that goes back to portion control.
  • Booze. I cut out hard liquor, but I drink wine with dinner almost every night. I don't need the extra calories. I should cut this back to twice a week, or weekends only.
  • Eating out. Restaurants give you bigger portions, and eat more apps and dessert that I don't need than I ever would at home. Cooking at home is healthier and good for the "money diet" too.
  • Eating late. Also have a tendency to eat late and fall asleep. Work schedules make it difficult, but want to shoot for 7, not 9.

Also, I want to reshape my bod a little bit. Swimming has firmed up the arms and shoulders. Running has shaped my calves and quads. But my core is . . . neglected, and the backs of my legs seem unbalanced with the front. Would also like to see more results on the arms. So, I think I need to start lifting weights.

OK, enough body obsession for now. Better get back to obsessing about the marathon.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Since i have lost and chipped my teeth, I have to force myself to eat slower.

My lunch is a big portion and I will spend 2-3 hrs eating it. I think that's pretty good. Considering that the other times I have snacks and fruits. It is not surprise for me to eat 9-5.

Yeah eating out is harsh. Not only there is nothing to order (i like a water pls :D), people give u the strangest look when u order a salad with no dressing or a bagel with no butter. :)

Nancy Toby said...

If I can take on IMFL... SO CAN YOU! :-) Besides, it would be more fun with all of us cheering you on, right??