Thursday, November 17, 2005

Advice for Mom

As I mentioned previously, my mother is starting an exercise program. Mostly to improve her general fitness, but partly to prepare for to do a half marathon with me on March 26th, 2006. We can walk it, run it, or any combination of the two. She is in her 50's and has no serious health problems. She is also hoping to lose some weight. She lives the typical suburban lifestyle - drives everywhere and gets very little physical activity. So we are basically starting from scratch. (Sorry Mom, but it's true).

I am hoping to help her. I have gotten a lot of personal satisfaction out of training for triathlons and the marathon this year, and I think she will get something out of this too. I also have selfish reasons - I think being a good role model will help keep me on the straight and narrow. So, here are some tips to help her get started:

- Plan ahead. Pick out your gym clothes the night before, pack them in a bag and put it by the door or in the car so you don't have to deal with it in the morning.
- Try to do something active every day. You might not actually do it, but be prepared with gym clothes or whatever you need.
- Stretch every day. Just a 5-10 minute yoga-type routine, every day, helped me a lot, and I think it prevented soreness and injuries. When I started running, I figured out that it is impossible to stretch my calves too much. Sometimes I stretch against the wall while I am brushing my teeth. Or do squats.
- Eat frequent small meals. Yes, you've heard it before. Work snacks are a piece of fruit, a (small) cup of cereal, almonds, trail mix, carrots, etc. This is good advice for losing weight, but also for having enough energy to exercise. If I want to go to the gym after work, I need to have some snack or bar around 4:00 to make it happen.
- Eat salad for lunch at work. It's the most convenient time for me to get a salad in.
- Occasionally push yourself past your comfort zone. You should start with walking, but add intervals - jog 1 minute, walk 5, etc.
- Write down everything! As you know, I have lost very little (if any) weight. But it's been nice to lose 2 inches off my waist, a little off the arms, hips, etc. I wouldn't know that by looking only at the scale. Weight, body fat, measurement, etc. Check it every 1-2 weeks or so.
- Keep track of your workouts, too. If you worked out 3 times this week for 30 minutes, try to go 4 times next week. Or go 45 minutes one day.
- Read about what other people do to help give you ideas. Oh yes, and contribute to your daughter's blog. We could use some fresh content around here. ;-)

One last thing. When I was working on my MBA part-time, I was juggling a lot of things - work, school, relationship, a crazy-long commute, etc. People used to ask me how I did it, or say I must be so tired or have no social life. I thought about it, and realized that although I had to plan things a little more, my social life was as active as ever and I really wasn't falling being at work. What was missing? I must have taken away something to find all those hours for classes, studying, homework, etc., right? So what was missing? TV. That's right, I virtually stopped watching TV while I was in B-school. I never thought that I particularly watched a lot of TV, but really that's all I "gave up". Not a big loss. I feel pretty much the same way about the hours I have spent this year in the gym or swimming or biking or running. I certainly did not sacrifice anything of consequence. I gained more than I gave.

I hope this is helpful, not a lecture. Also, I suppose I could tell you tihs on the phone, but like I said, we need content for the blog.

Does anyone else have advice for Mom?

3 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Um, did Mom ask for your help? Just curious! My mom ask for help with things like putting up curtain rods, not on fitness topics!

Anyway, I'm pushing 50, so maybe I'm more in your mom's peer group.

I'd probably tell her:
Find an ambitious but realistic goal. Walk a half marathon next spring or summer? Why not?
Build your own personal support network.
Push out of your comfort zone every single day in some way.
Detonate a small nuclear device underneath your scale.
Go for it.

Sixteen Chickens said...

I think it's a wonderful way to spend time with your Mom! Before my Mom got sick (breast cancer) we used to go walking together every night. Some of the conversations we had were pricless and others were just fluff, but it was all good. Don't forget to take the opportunity to talk to your Mom, she'll be right there, why not get some good life advice from her?

MB said...

Thanks! She kind of did ask for my advice, but this whole blogging thing is new.