Monday, November 14, 2005

Goals

Prepare yourself for a long, rambling post.

Now that I have a marathon and 3 triathlons under my belt (sort of), I've been thinking a lot about what to do next and setting some goals for 2006. First of all, what did I achieve this year?

- Swim. First, I learned that I didn't know how to swim, and that I actually have (had) a lot of anxiety/fear of drowning in the water. I didn't realize this until I started training. That being said, I did get a lot better this year, partly as a result of some classes, partly just by spending time in the water. The good news? I think this may be behind me. (Yay!) That TI workshop really made me feel like I could be good at this . . . maybe swimming will be my best sport, who knows?

- Bike. I bought a bike. Pretty important for a TRIathlete, yes? Late in the season. I got a lot better at riding it. My longest ride to date is still only 25 miles or so, but again, I think I got a taste of what this is supposed to feel like and actually enjoy it now.

- Run. I ran. Far. But I really didn't get any faster. Of course, I haven't done any interval training, and I really slacked on the marathon training program.

It's funny, but the main effect of all this working out and getting in shape really made me realize how OUT of shape I really was to start. I think I changed my life. I was heading in one "common man" direction, and I changed it. I never went that far down that road - I am generally healthy, at a healthy weight, fairly young, etc. I like this new direction better. And it really isn't that hard.

Of course, I am pretty laid back about training. More than I should be. But now, I've had a taste. And I wonder what my marathon time would have been if I actually followed the training program. Looking back, my maximum mileage in one week was only 22 miles. There were some zero running weeks. Yes, I probably did some cross training in there, but that is supposed to be my base. I'm just glad I didn't injure myself.

ANYWAY, back to goals:

- A Spring marathon. Can't believe I want to do it again. Considering Ocean City, Maryland on April 8th or Long Branch, NJ on April 30th. There is also one in Long Island on May 7th.

- The More Marathon is March 26th in NYC. This is for 40+ women only. I don't fit in that category yet, but I can do it with a partner. My mom has agreed to walk the half-marathon if I do it with her. I think this is a good goal for her, and a fun thing for us to do together. Plus, I would love to help her get in shape if I can. I am already creating a training plan for her, and I'll let her post on my blog if she wants. Mom, your training plan starts November 28th. Hope you don't regret it!

- I want to improve my triathlon time, and do another half marathon. Looking at an Olympic on May 20th, a Sprint on June 18th, and the Montauk Half IM in October. Maybe I can find a half IM earlier in the summer.

- I'd like to do a repeat of the NYC Marathon next November. It was so much fun!

- I want to run faster. I'd like to do a 5K in 30 minutes. A reasonable goal! I've got some 4 mile races, coming up. I think the shorter races and cooler weather should help me get in some speed training.

My marathon training plan (if I do Ocean City) starts December 10th. From now until then, I plan to focus on swimming (fresh out of TI, you know), weights, core, etc. Take a class or two. Yoga. Spinning. Pilates. Cardio Funk is a fun one I used to do back in the day. They all sound fun now.

One last thing. I didn't sign up (or have someone sign me up, since I was busy running the NYC Marathon) for IMFL. I thought about it. A lot. But, I think I realized that my body just isn't ready for that. It was the right decision for me, but I'm going to be so jealous when I read the race reports for IMFL and IMMOO next year!

1 comment:

TriDaddy said...

Used to vacation at Ocean City as a kid, that sounds like it would be an awesome race.

Personally, I think improving your 5k time is a good goal. I think it's the easiest distance to build speed at and that will carry over into your longer distance training, in my opinion, but then, I'm one of those laid back types too!