Saturday, December 03, 2005

Race Report: Holiday 4 Mile

Well, I didn't get the PR I wanted. Guess I'll just get that out of the way. But here's what happened.

First of all, it was freezing! It was 32 degrees, cloudy and windy. I gues that isn't really that cold, but I haven't been running in anything less than 50 in almost a year. I got really chilled before the race.

I had to pick up my number between 8:00 and 9:00 am, at the New York Road Runners office on 89th Street. I got there at 8:25. There was a crowd, so you couldn't wait around inside. The race souvenir was a long-sleeved t-shirt, and I was happy to have the extra layer. I pinned my number on my shirt and attached my chip to my shoe outside in the cold, and walked briskly to the race start, about 3/4 mile away. I was at the race start by 8:45, but the race didn't start until 9:30. I tried to stretch and jog around a little to stay warm, but I was basically standing around for 45 minutes. Brr! In the past, I usually picked up my number the day before, so I could just show up 5-10 minutes before the race. A few people were wearing shorts - how do they do it?

Finally, the race started. I was at the first mile marker in just under 10 minutes. Then there were hills. There were some walk breaks. By the 3rd mile, I knew there would be no catching up to meet my 40 minute goal. Damn. Anyway, here are the numbers:

Net Time = 43:28:00
Pace/Mile = 10:52

As I mentioned the other day, I have run 2 other races at this distance.
- Feb 26. Net time = 43:36 , Pace/mile = 10:54
- April 24. Net time = 42:58, Pace/mile = 10:44

So I was in between my other 2 times. I really though I would do better. :(

In all fairness, however, I have to admit that I have done very little running since the marathon on November 6th. I left the house without stretching and got a sharp pain in my shoulder during the race. My knees are freaking killing me.

I thought I would walk home (about 4 miles) after the race just to get a little more exercise, but quit after about 5 blocks. Freezing wind + sweat = Instant misery. Sigh.

So, what did I learn from this?
- Consistency is key. I have been taking it easy for a month. Too easy - I have definitely lost some of my hard-won conditioning and endurance.
- Easy street is over. I need to set some goals - weekly and monthly - to get back on track.
- I need to learn to pace myself so I don't need walk breaks. I would have easily made my goal if I hadn't walked 3-4 times.
- If possible, avoid race day number and chip pickup. This was no problem back in the Spring. Big problem today.
- Get a hat that covers my ears!

I've got 2 more (longer) races this month (actually, I may have to miss one). Maybe I'll get a new PR yet.

1 comment:

Nancy Toby said...

Sounds like a great post-race analysis! And your time was right in line with your other races!

PRs only happen when the stars are aligned correctly. Just so they surprise you. :-)