Tuesday, September 06, 2005

LSD Recipe

On Saturday morning, I ran 18 miles! And I felt better at the end than I did after 12. Here is my recipe for success:

- Refrain from alcohol for at least 24 hours in preparation
- Early to bed, early to rise
- 1 part breakfast of one slice whole wheat toast with almond butter
- 2 parts fuel belt with 24 ounces water mixed with Amino Vital
- 2 Power Gels (Strawberry Banana flavor, with caffeine)
- Dash of Glucosomine Chondroitin
- MP3 player stocked with 80s tunes
- Low humidity and a cool ocean breeze
- Shade, glorious shade

The day began improbably. The alarm went off at 6 on Saturday morning. Husband got up to go surfing, and made coffee. I buried myself deeper in pillows. Husband returned to BR, and I cried out for coffee, from somewhere deep within the pillows. “But you’re asleep!,” he said. He brought me coffee, and I dutifully sat up in bed, propping myself up on pillows. He left the room, and returned a few minutes later, at which point I was totally asleep, sitting upright, with cup of hot coffee in hand. This start did not bode well for the epic run I had planned.

Stumbled outside around 7 to check out the weather. Clear, sunny, brisk, windy. Very windy. There were whitecaps. On the lake. It was freezing. (Actually, it was around 60 degrees). Had some toast. The fog in my head was clearing.

I always get really nervous before these long runs, and say some kind of dramatic goodbye to Husband. I tell him my planned route, in case he needs to send out a search party. He’ll say something dramatic, like, “If you don’t make it back, know that I loved you.” Then he pushes me out the door.

I was planning to do the course for the Mightyman Montauk race I have coming up. It's almost 3 miles to the start of the course, then 2 loops of 6.5 miles each, then 3 miles back, for a total of 18. But those roads don't have much of a berm/running/biking lane on the side of the road, and include areas with names like "murder hill" and "the pits". Instead, I took Old Montauk highway, which has a pedestrian walkway on most of it, straight out 9 miles, and back. This route has rolling hills, with nice ocean views and a breeze. And in the morning, it has lots of shade!

Anyway, I set out around 7:30. I took sips of my lemon lime flavored amino vital water about every 15 minutes. Feeling good. The air is cool, crisp, refreshing. still only a few cars on the road. After an hour, I had a strawberry-banana flavored gel. The combination with the lemon-lime drink was actually pretty sickening. I reached my turnaround point at 1:45 and had my second gel. Heart rate consistently in the 150s - low for me on a run; I think it was mainly due to the cooler temps. Still feeling good! Walked for 5 minutes, then ran another 40.

Hmm, out of fluids. Walked a few, ran another 20. Back in town. The smell of bacon eminates from the Pancake House. So . . . thirsty. Stopped in a deli and bought a vitamin water. Only 3 miles home! Ugh, mostly uphill miles. Body starts to rebel when it isn't having any more of my torture. After 3:15 hours, everything starts hurting - hips, knees, shoulders, bottoms of my feet. Ran, walked and drank, ran, walked and drank. Probably walked at least 1/2 of the last 3 miles.

Did lots of stretching when I got home, and ate a little something immediately. Although my body really started to hurt after 3+ hours, it was an improvement over my 15 mile run. I felt good when I got home - clear headed and ready to stretch, as opposed to lethargic and semi-delirious. Next time, I'll try 3 gels instead of 2.

It took me about 3:40. All in all, I think it was a success. I think I could have done a little more. Especially with one more gel and some gatorade. And I will, in the next 2 months before the marathon.

It's crazy, but it just might work!

2 comments:

:) said...

What a great run! Glad you got through it and make sure you get more gels for the next long one. I take one every hour...

Madame La Blog said...

Hi,

Sorry about your swim. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Practice, practice...eventually you will start looking at the swim as sort of a warm-up hurdle before the really hard stuff!

I created a special blog name (with no intention of EVER blogging!) just so i could communicate with you! I found your blog while searching desperately for some info on the course of MightyMan tri. We already know the run is "killer", but what about the bike? Humane? inhumane? Ther eis little or ZERO infomration online about this course. in particlaur, I'd be interetsed to know how it compares to Sag Harbor. People were complaining about how hard Sag Harbor was, but I thought the course was pretty humane.

PLEASE - if you have a chance, can you email me back at dcdmk at aol dot com?? thanks so much..and good luck in your journey .