Friday, September 16, 2005

what next?

I haven't even done any of my big races yet, but I am already thinking about "the next big thing". That's pretty normal for me. Plus, many of my fellow bloggers are already signed up for races next year. I still have 3 races on my agenda:


  • September 18th. Mighty Hamptons Olympic Distance Tri.
  • October 2nd. Mightyman Montauk. 1/2 Ironman Distance Tri.
  • November 6th. New York City Marathon.

Now, I did the lottery to get into the NYC marathon this year. But if you do NINE qualifying New York Road Runner-sponsored races in a given year, you are guaranteed marathon entry for the following year. Although I haven't even done a marathon yet, I'm pretty sure I'll want to do it again. The marathon will be my 5th, and there are races virtually every weekend, usually in Central Park. I can't even sign up for any of them yet, but they are starting to be added to the calendar. So here are some of my options:


  • October 30th - Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M) Central Park. We were thinking of being away that weekend, so maybe, maybe not.
  • November 20 - 10:00 a.m. Race To Deliver/The Kids Race Central Park, No additional information given, so I'm not sure if it's a "kid's race" or a "race for kids". It's a marathon qualifier, so I think the latter.
  • November 26 - NYRR Knickerbocker 60K. Now this could be interesting. Am I woman enough to go 60K? That's 37.2 miles! Am I nuts? Hmm, debatable. It is Thanksgiving weekend, and we were planning to be away. Still a consideration, though.
  • December 3rd - NYRR Holiday 4-Mile. Central Park. A no-brainer.
  • December 11th - NYRR Joe Kleinerman 10K. Another no-brainer.
  • December 17th - NYRR Hot Chocolate 15K. Ditto.

So, if I do the November 20th, and the 3 December races, I'm in for NYC Marathon 2006. I bet they'll add another 5K or something as well. So, that's pretty cool.

What else? I'm looking forward to long bike rides with Husband this month and in October. After that, I doubt I'll get much time on the roads - I find biking the streets of Manhattan a little scary. But I think I'll look into one of those bike trainers. Now where would we put it? Husband bought me one of those Camelbacks to make sure I stay hydrated on a long ride. Isn't he a sweetie?

After the "season", I'd like to work on swimming, flexibility, core, balance and strength. Although my swimming has improved about 1000% this year, it is still pretty weak, and I'm still not comfortable in the water. I'd like to take one of those Total Immersion workshops.

And although I try to stretch appropriately, I have noticed a significant decrease in my ankle/foot/calf flexibility. Yoga? And who doesn't want killer abs? There is a pilates studio around the corner, with all those machines with pulleys and levers. I am intrigued.

Went to the pool last night with Husband and swam 1000 with no drama. I'm going to be fine on Sunday! (I'll just keep repeating that!)

No comments: