Friday, September 30, 2005

Almost Here

Welp, I checked the forecast, and Sunday morning will be a slightly brisk 53 degrees, with a high of 75 for the day. Clear. West wind at 5mph. Sounds pretty perfect, actually.

I'm just going to break it down one more time.

A little info from the website:

This course is challenging. The swim is a 1.2 mile rectangle in a protected pond and unless it is windy, will be very calm. Water temperature will be in the mid 60's and a wetsuits are allowed. The bike is a rolling hills ride that consists of a two 28 mile laps with a water station at mile 28. The run is a two 6.55 mile loop that is a combination of flat and challenging hills like "murder hill". Aid stations each 1.5 mile.

Cut-off times, from start: Swim - 1 hour, Bike - 4:30 hours, finish 8:00 hours (3:00 PM).

So, I'm just going to be trying to stay ahead of the cut-off times.

The swim: 1.2 miles. It's within the realm of possibility. I have done some swimming in this lake, although not enough, because there are often fisherman there. No waves, current or salt; so hopefully my freak-out potential will be low. My strategy is simple: Keep Going. No stopping or looking back. 90% freestyle. Breastroke for sighting and Side stroke for catching my breath is okay, but that's it. No backstroke! And no stopping, looking back, or looking at lifeguards. The wetsuit makes me float, I just need to propel it forward.

The bike: 56 miles. So, assuming I make it the cut-off time for the swim, I need to pedal my butt off on the bike. In my last tri, I averaged only 15mph on the bike. Need to do more like 18-20 in this one, and the hills are MUCH bigger. (2200 Total feet of elevation gain. ) However, I know the course well, and it helps me a lot when I know a hill is coming so you can build up a little momentum going in. The course is beautiful, the roads are good, and there are certain "destinations" built in - the lighthouse, the beach, Gosman's - which will help keep me going. My nutrition/hydration strategy is to wear my camelback for water, and have a gel every 45 minutes. Admittedly, I am undertrained, and this will be my longest bike ride ever. My butt is going to hurt when I'm done -- big time.

The run: 13.1 miles. So, assuming I make the cut-off time for the bike, you guessed it, start running. The first 3 miles of the run are pretty flat, which is good because it will probably take me that long to get my legs working again. "Murder Hill" is no joke - it is short, but pitched like a double diamond ski slope. 806 Total feet of elevation gain. If I make it this far, I know I'm going to be slow. I don't care about that.

I'm just going to keep going until somebody stops me.

I love Montauk, and I think this is going to be really fun, no matter what happens. But it will be extra sweet if all goes well.

Things to remember:
  • Eat gels like they're going out of style
  • Hydrate
  • Apply vaseline to chafe-prone parts. (around the neck (wetsuit) & under the arms)
  • Use gel (the other kind) and hairspray in attempt to keep the braids from falling out
  • Sunscreen
  • Running hat
  • Something long-sleeved for the bike? I think I might get cold - it is windy by the water and I'm starting out wet. However, this will be a pain to remove as I plan to wear the Camelback backpack.
  • When in doubt, have a gel
  • Give Husband a great big kiss!

OK. I'm ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy Toby said...

Good luck, we're thinking about you today! Those are pretty stringent cutoffs for the swim and bike - that run course must be tough!! Hope you're doing well!