Tuesday, August 30, 2005

1 down


Went to the pool last night. I belong to two gyms, one normal gym (NYSC), and one with a pool owned by a university. The kids are back in full force. Oh joy. It gets very busy during the school year, and they strictly enforce a 25 minute limit on all the cardio machines.

Anyway, I did 6 miles on a stationary bike. Good. If I can do 14 more between today and tomorrow, I'll be set. Then I went to take a shower and get in the pool. At this point I realized I forgot my towel. Annoying. Well, I'm not leaving now.

I was thinking that I would do 1000 meters in the pool, instead of 800, since I had exceeded my planned 5 miles on the bike. While I was there, it got steadily more crowded. The guy I was sharing the lane with left after a few laps, and two boys jumped in the lane with me. They were so annoying! Splitting the lane when I was trying to swim, chit-chatting at one end of the pool. Then they took out the kickboards and were splashing all over the pool.

My swimming was so lousy, until I realized that I was holding my breath the whole way down the pool. Actually, what I was doing was forgetting to exhale/blow bubbles. So I would inhale, stroke, stroke, stroke while holding my breath, then blow out above the water and gasp in a new breath. What the . . ? Who forgets to breathe? Isn't that physiologically impossible? I did this for the first 500, before I realized. Anyway, I haven't been swimming in a while, I was focused on trying to have good form, and I was being harassed by the Annoying Twins, hogging my lane. I really wanted to leave, but I powered through and did the 800 I planned. A lot easier when I started breathing. Good.

Forgetting my towel and the the throngs of college students put me in a bit of a sour mood, but still glad I went. Biked 6, Swam 800, 75 Crunches. (Plus 25 more this morning).

No comments: