Tuesday, August 09, 2005

epic weekend - saturday run

I have done so much exercising in the last 4 days, I can't even believe it. Saturday:

Long run on the schedule was 13 miles, more than I have ever run before. Luckily I had a training partner. K and I palnned to go at 7:30, before the heat of the day. A little delayed, but we were out the door by 7:55. I wore my fuel belt for the first time, and brought. 1 samll bottle diluted gatorade, 1 small bottle water, and a gel - I forget what kind. I had peanut butter toast and coffee for breakfast. It's nice to have someone with you on a long run. We did lots of chit-chatting, and the first 8-9 miles of rolling hills flew by. I checked my heart rate intermittantly, and it was steady at 150-160. I sipped the gatorade about every 30-40 minutes.

Then I started feeling hot. And tired. I waved K on and slogged along by myself. At around 10 miles, there is a turnaround point, so I thought that I would get there, and have my gel and remaining water. I was moving really slowly at this point. K was waiting for me when I got there, about 2 hours in. I told K to go ahead, we were close to home and it was going to take me a while. I came to a complete stop, sucked down a gel, and finished off my water. Only 2.5 miles to home. I took a step, and it hurt. Everything hurt. The bottoms of my feet, my hips, my knees, my calves. The bottoms of my feet?! What the heck!? Really hard to even lift my legs. Heart rate was up, way up, around 180, and the road was almost flat at this point. Ouch.

Nothing to do but walk it off. I walked for about 5 minutes, and started to feel better, probably when the gel kicked in. Jogged 5 minutes, walked a minute or two the rest of the way. Felt halfway decent by the time I got back for some stretching, and food.

Husband asked if I wanted to go mountain biking. I counteroffered with some beach sleeping.

I took a nap in the afternoon, and accomplished very little the rest of the day. My knees ached on Saturday night, and I iced them for quite sometime while watching a movie. They felt fine on Sunday morning.

I get really hungry on any run lasting more than an hour. Sometimes I get nauseated when it is hot, but mostly just hungry. My stomach growls. I think I may be a little unusual in this respect - K basically had no idea what I was talking about. Would I have felt better if I had the gel sooner?

Although I felt pretty crappy toward the end, I was pleased with my performance overall. I finished it, and really felt fine for the first 1:45 plus. The route has quite a few hills, and I usually walk at least some of them, but not this time. So that was good. So, improving endurance, which will come, and one more gel would have probaly fixed it. Next time.

No comments: