Monday, August 29, 2005

weekend accomplishments



Major accomplishments this weekend:



  1. BIKE purchase
  2. Tan optimization
  3. Harry Potter
  4. 8 mile run
  5. 20 mile bike

1. I finally bought a bike! Yes, it's quite ridiculous that I have signed up for multiple triathlons without owning a road bike. I have a nice mountain bike, which I used in my Sprint Tri back in July. (That was only last month? It seems so long ago.) Bikes are expensive. I considered buying one on ebay or something, but wanted to buy it locally in case I had any issues. I considered renting a bike every weekend and using that for the race. But I finally bit the bullet. Anyway, I am so excited and I can pick it up on Friday. I just know that I will love my new bike, and my new bike will love me . . . what shall I name it???

2. Tan optimization. Sounds stupid, I know, but I am in a wedding in 2 weeks, and my racerback tan line looks ridiculous with my back-baring dress. Spent some quality time at the beach this weekend, on my belly with full back exposed, while Husband surfed. Much better. For the record, I always wear SPF 30.

3. Harry Potter. Mainly while lying on my belly at the beach this weekend, I read the latest - "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" -- cover to cover. It was so good! Husband says Harry Potter cast a spell on me. I planned to do a little work this weekend, but HP definitely prevailed.
4. Eight mile run on Saturday evening. Unfortunately, 12 miles were on the schedule. But I ran the whole way, and maintained speed, even on the big hills. I meant to set out around 5:30 PM, but didn't go until 6:30 because, um, I was engrossed in the Harry Potter book. I went out to the lighthouse and back, taking some extra side roads on the way to make it a little longer.

It was still about 80 degrees when I set out, but with low humidity and and ocean breeze, the air felt positively wonderful. The sun was setting as I tooled up to the lighthouse. Pink, purple, gold clouds . . . gorgeous. Then it got dark. Really quickly. I was the only runner out there. No bikers either. A few cars. Some deer and rabbits. I started to get the creeps, and the adrenaline rush made me run faster the last 2 miles toward the house. Whew! I made it.

My heart rate on the hills goes up to 175, and is around 160-165 on the flattish and downhill bits. I ran roughly 10 minute miles the whole way -- good for me. There is a pretty steep hill in the middle up to an ocean-view overlook. This route is part of the bike course for my Mightyman Montauk (MM) race coming up in, gulp, 33 days.

5. Twenty-mile bike. The bike shop gave me a free rental for Sunday, after I ordered my bike of course. I slept late Sunday, and unfortunately didn't head out until around 11:30, at which point it was pretty hot. But it was great! I rode most of the MM course. (it is a 2-loop course; I did about 80% of one loop). I experimented with the gears. I know the course better now, and know to work up speed on the downhill bits, so I have some momentum for the next big hill. I felt like Speed Racer, passing people out there on the road. On your left!

It felt VERY windy alongside the lake, and I had to hunker down to maintain my balance. It tend to get a LOT windier out there in September and October, so I need to be prepared for this on race day. Here is a description of the bike course:

55.6-mile bike.
· Two Laps on a 27.8-mile loop with rolling hills and beautiful ocean and bay views.
· 2200 Total feet of elevation gain.
· One aid station (water and energy gels) at approx. mile 28.
· Leaving Town on Edgemere Rd to Westlake Dr. around the Montauk Light House. And out and back to Gin Beach on East Lake Dr. Back down West Lake Dr. Around Gosmans Dock with a right turn out and back onto Sound View Dr. With loop onto Capt. Kidd’s Path, then back to town by Edgemere Rd. with a little add-on in the Culloden Estates.
· Light Traffic and great Roads view of the ocean and bay, what could be better?
· Plan to bring warm cycling clothes, temperature and wind can be chilly.

Doesn't it sound great?

I was telling Husband that I really felt like a kid yesterday. Reading Harry Potter, bike riding, lazing on the beach. I completed the feeling by buying a rice krispie treat with my lunch. Oh yeah, I ran 3 miles on Sunday afternoon too.

Lovely weekend.

3 comments:

William said...

Hey, sounds like a great weekend. I did a fair amount of running and cycling as well but no reading for me.

Good choice on the bike. I have few friends who ride the OCR1 and they all seem happy.

Check out my site Road Ramblings

Nancy Toby said...

The bike looks great!! Congratulations, that's exciting! You'll think of a name out on your rides.

Tracy said...

Cool! Congrats on the bike purchase! And do I ever here you about the racerback lines. I think mine are permanent ;)