Monday, August 29, 2005

training (or lack thereof)



Crap.

I just looked at my totals for August, and went back to compare them to my goals. First of all, I knew set my goals for August too low. Now I won't even make them!


Month of August:

  • Swim: Plan = 3500 meters / Actual MTD = 2700
  • Bike: Plan = 100 / Actual MTD = 80
  • Run: Plan = 90 / Actual MTD = 68
  • Other: Crunches Plan = 1000 / Actual MTD = 500

Shortfall:

  • Swim: 800
  • Bike: 20
  • Run: 22
  • Crunches: 500

Damn. Double damn. Counting today, there are only 3 days left in the month. So, what can I salvage?

  • Well, definitely the crunches. I could just do them all now. (well, I just ate lunch, so not right now). I'll do 250 today and 250 tomorrow.
  • Also the swim. I could do 800 in one long-ish swim session. That's 32 lengths or 16 laps. (note to self: don't count drills)
  • And the bike. I could do 10 and 10 at the gym. Maybe 10 before I swim tonight.
  • The only thing I can't finish is running 22 miles in the next 3 days, especially with the biking and swimming. (And a job!)
So what happened? Well, there was heat, humidity, a business trip, work-related stress, out of town guests . . . no excuse really. If I had actually done last week's schedule, I would have been able to make it. Crap.

Week of 8/22 Schedule:
Monday - Swim 500m (actual: NOTHING!)
Tuesday - Run 5M (actual: NOTHING!)
Wednesday - Bike 10M (actual: BIKED 5, RAN 2)
Thursday - Swim 500 (actual: NOTHING!)
Friday - Run 4 (actual: RAN 4)
Saturday - Run 12, Swim 500m (actual: RAN 8)
Sunday - Run 4, Bike 25 (actual: RAN 3, BIKED 20)

Plan for week of 8/22: Swim: 1500, Bike: 35, Run: 25
Actual for week of 8/22: Swim: ZERO, Bike: 25, Run: 17

For reference, I looked back at July totals and posted them on the side:
Swim: 3300
Bike: 31
Run: 61

At least I ran and biked more in August than I did in July. Yeah, I'm doing a HALF-IRONMAN in just 33 days. Get on the ball, girl! And off the f%*%*%* couch!

Okay, this week's schedule (also up in the sidebar)
Monday - Bike 5, Swim 800m
Tuesday - Bike 5, Run 5M
Wednesday - Bike 10M
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Bike 20, Run 4
Saturday - Run 18, Swim 500m
Sunday - Bike 25, Swim 500m

Hmm, marathon schedule calls for an 18-mile run on Saturday. That would be my longest ever. This will take me at least 3 hours. There is also a practice bike ride on Sunday for the Mighty Hamptons triathlon (23 miles), which I don't want to miss, and I will probably (ha!) be very tired after my 18 mile run. Planning to take Friday off, so maybe I run on Friday instead.

September will be a big month - probably the peak for all my training. I have an Olympic distance tri on September 18, then the half Ironman distance on October 6. I also have a wedding, 2 business trips, and my birthday. Uhhh . . .

September Plan
Swim: 10,000 m
Bike: 250 miles
Run: 120 miles
Crunches: 3000

This sure sounds like a lot, but I'm sure I shuld actually be doing more. Based on my reading of other blogs, I am a total slacker!

2 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

No no no no no! You're not a slacker at all!!!! You've done 77% of your swim, 80% of your bike, 75% of your run, and 50% of your crunches. I think if you bring up the crunches you can average a C grade, certainly, and maybe a B!! :-)

MB said...

Thanks! :)