Wednesday, August 10, 2005

epic weekend II - sunday swimming

Sunday I wanted to take it easy, since I knew I had my training camp on Monday. Glad I iced my knees Saturday night. My legs were tired on Sunday, but at least my knees did not hurt. Took one ibuprofin for good measure, but that was it.

I was restless and wanted to get out of the house, but it took a long time to get Husband and I moving.

We rode our bikes to the swimming beach, which we've never done before. Surprisingly, there is no bike rack there, so we just chained them to a sign. We wore our suits under our bike shorts. Husband had a backpack with some towels, sunscreen, swim goggles, etc. Oh, and one of those super heavy bike chains.

The water is around 70 degrees - cold without a wetsuit at first. It was a hot day and there were a lot of people there, but the water is super clean, and there is swell, but no real crashing waves since we are in an inlet. The it a roped off section for swimming about 50 meters wide and 25 meters out, plus a lifeguard. The water gets deep fast - you can't touch the bottom with 5 meters. I tried to swim lengths of the roped off area, but the waves, fish, and fogged up goggles freaked me out a little. Husband gave me some breast stroke lesson - I still don't quite get it, but it was fun to play in the water and practice a little. If nothing else, I am getting used to open water/ocean swimming and even starting to enjoy it.

We had a late-ish dinner at one of the restaurants on the dock. It's a "locals" place, and boats pull up and unload and clean fish right there on the dock. While we were waiting for a table, I noticed a boat pull in and a group of guys pulling and tugging on ropes over by the scales. Turns out they brought in a big shark! It was a thresher shark, which I have bever seen before. It has a long, whip-like tail. This one was at least 15 feet long, and the final verdict on the scale was 425 pounds! Apparently they got it about 40 miles out. I took a picture with my camera phone, but can't seem to get it to come out. Anyway, it was pretty similar to this photo I found on the web. Don't want to swim with those!

Husband went home after dinner and I stayed at the house by myself for my training camp on Monday. It was spooky being there by myself. All the neighbors were gone, and I noticed every car that went by on the road since there were so few. The foghorn went "broo! broo!" as I went to sleep.

Tally for the day - 5.5 mile bike, 750 m swim.

No comments: